Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Goodreads Review - Before I Fall

Before I FallBefore I Fall by Lauren Oliver
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Amazing, amazing. A truly moving story, beautifully written. The teenage experience and psyche are so realistically explored in this book. Wonderful and authentic voice. It's not meant to be a thriller, but one of the big takeaways of this story is that I really, really wanted to know where it was going. I was so anxious to see the character development, to see the MC learn from what was happening around her, and she did in a very natural and satisfying way. Not forced, not rushed, and not cliched. And the ending was exactly what it needed to be, though it was never obvious how it was all going to end. The book avoided being preachy about the main issue running through the subtext of the story. This manages to be an influential book without sacrificing any of its entertainment value. Looking forward to my next Lauren Oliver novel.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I still need to read this one!! I loved If I Stay and heard this book was a lot like it. Not sure what I'm waiting for...oh yeah, I have a huge pile of review books to get through first, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was really good, and not exactly what I would usually go for. It just goes to show, when something is really well written, you find a way to connect.

      Delete