Friday, June 1, 2012

Blog Title Origins

Ok, so my blog was at a demonstration on radiation when it noticed this little, glowing spider gliding down toward its hand...

No, wait, wrong origin story.

My current project was called Errant Intern until it wasn't.  Working title is now The Intern's Tale.  I try to please the ghost of Chaucer in as many of my endeavours as possible. 

There was a bit of confusion about the meaning of the word "Errant".  Here's what the internets say about it.

1.  Deviating from the regular or proper course.  (That's me all over.  Total rebel.)

2.  Journeying or traveling, as a medieval knight in quest of adventure; roving adventurously.  (This is totally what I meant for my main character.  That's so Kip).

3. Moving in an aimless or lightly changing manner. (I don't think anyone would be happy to be described this way, maybe a butterfly).




For me, the title captured the blended story elements of a modern-medieval world and was oh-so-clever.  I also googled it and nothing came up.  No one had named a book that yet.

There's probably a good reason for that.

When you're at the stage of a book that only your good friends and family members are reading it, it's difficult to get unbiased, critical feedback on it.  And that's fine, understandable, and I wouldn't really want that to change.  But sometimes silence is as loud as a scream, an no one has ever said anything about the title.  Oh, now that I'm changing it I'm hearing a few things.  Stuff like, "That's great.  I can take that off my prayer list now."

So it'll probably be The Intern's Tale, until no one says anything about it for a while.

In summary, my blog will be about a rebellious, adventurous and slightly butterfly-like writer trying to make his way in the cruel, cruel world of publishing.  So in a nod to my former title, which annoyed so few, but all that encountered it, my blog will be called Errant Author.

Until it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment