Friday, June 1, 2012

Delusions of Grandeur

First off, I spelled the title to this post without the aid of spell check.  Yes, I've spell checked it since, but I got it right the first (fine, third) time.  I've impressed myself, which is clearly easy to do, but if you understood the depth of my deficiencies in spelling, you'd be equally impressed.  No you wouldn't, but give me my little moment, please.

I've come to the realization, that when you start off blogging, you have to be delusional.  I've postponed putting much effort into a blog due to the fact that I know no one is going to be reading it to start out.  You can't promote something that doesn't exist but it seems weird to produce something that doesn't have a ready audience.  I think the only solution to this dichotomy (misspelled that one) is to embrace delusion.  I have followers.  I have a media platform.  I have ... wait for it ... fans of my work. 

No you don't, you say. 

Hey, someone read this and put me in my place!  Oh, wait, that was just me.  Now I'm delusional and schizophrenic (missed that one by a lot, but who's really surprised).  Well, that's fine.  I'm going to count additional personalities as followers.  I'm not alone in this.

Yes you are.

Crap, one of my personalities is a tool.

I haven't decided what exactly this blog's purpose will be.  My personalities and I will hash out a mission statement soon.  Basically, I'm writing books and no one is reading them.  Ok, a few really cool people are reading them.  Don't you want to be cool too?

I'll wrap up this second post with words of wisdom.  "You never get a second chance to make a second impression ...  or a third impression, or a fourth."

Bottom line, you're always making impressions, so make them memorable. 

For a bit of inspiration, I'll share what I imagine popular author E.L James thought when facing the prospect that her book might go unnoticed and never achieve success.  "If you write it, they will come."

Think about that for a minute. 

Ok, now get your mind out of the gutter and do something productive with your day.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment